What's it all about?

I set this blog up in 2010 so people could follow my progress as I prepared for my second challenge in aid of the Bobby Moore Fund for Cancer Research UK; a three day biathlon which saw me run the Great North Run and the next day by a two day cycle to London from Newcastle.

I've made it my life's work to raise awareness of bowel cancer, the disease which robbed us of the greatest footballer to grace a football pitch and a disease I was tested for when I was 22 following a health scare.


This blog follows my training for the event, my thoughts and more importantly will allow you to follow my progress on the event.


With my new challenge I am hoping to raise £10,000 for the charity



Monday 13 September 2010

Nerves setting in

So with a little under a week to go, the nerves are setting in.  The seeds of doubt are there...have I trained enough, have I bitten off more than I can chew??

I know this is going to hurt.  The longest stage of this years Tour de France was 5 miles less than what my first day of cycling will be.  Believe me, I've trained.  I've trained really hard.  But I'm worried I haven't done enough.

6am, 5 days a week since May I've been heading to the gym working on strength and stamina.  And from that side of things I have seen the benefits.  I am stronger, I am a hell of a lot fitter.  I am leaner.  My friends and family have all noticed the difference in my shape and appearance.  Which is good, but is it enough to get me down to Lincoln on the first day?

I've been doing a lot of cycling.  But have I done enough.  I'm finding 50-80 miles is easy enough now, but I've rarely gone above 100 miles.  My technique on the bike is a lot better.  I'm more flexible and can get right down on the bars.  I'm more efficient in my pedalling and use of gears so I'm using less energy.  So yes I suppose I am ready.

There is a bit of mind games I'm playing with myself.  Positive Mental Attitude.  I keep telling myself I can do this.  I've started talking to myself when I'm cycling.  I get some great looks from passers by.  I've taken a lot of inspiration after reading Lance Armstrong's "Every second counts".  He is famously quoted as saying "Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever".  However, in the book he talks about the phrase "No Chain", a phrase the US Postal Service Team used a lot in the Tour de France in 2003.  Basically, the idea is that with no chain, it's very easy to pedal.  So when the call went out to a team member "hows it going", the response was "No chain!" i.e. I'm finding this easy!  So when it gets tough, I keep telling myself "No Chain"...and do you know what, it works.  It actually makes me chuckle when I do it to which helps.

I had my final training ride at the weekend.  I took the bike down to my friends farm in Oxfordshire.  I had a lovely ride through the Chilton's.  Only 40ish miles but a lot of steep, long hills....which I will not have in either day of the cycling part of the biathlon.  By the time I had finished I wanted to do more.  It was windy, it was raining but I loved it.  So maybe I am ready.

However, the running is proving a problem.  My ankle still isn't right.  I've done a few 2-3 mile runs but the ankle just isn't right.  I can't put the pressure on I could before.  I definitely won't be going for a pacey time on Sunday in the Great North Run.  However, I was up to 8 miles before I damaged the ankle so I am sure I will be ok.

So, maybe I am ready....or ready as I ever will be.

In terms of publicity, its not been too bad.  Northumberland Gazette, News Guardian in North Tyneside and the Newham Recorder in London have picked up the story.  And my friends and family have been amazing. 

I'm still disappointed with the lack of response from both West Ham United and Newcastle United.  As I've said before, I don't want fan fairs etc, I just want access to the pitches to get a photo done and start and end the bike ride properly.  I definitely don't want to finish 2 days and 300 miles of cycling only to get to the front doors of Upton Park, not get any further and then go "Well, that's that then" and go home. 

I remember when I cycled the 20 premiership grounds in 2007 I had a similar lack of response from West Ham and I remember cycling down Green Street on my final day, overcome with the emotion of 2 weeks of cycling, unsure of what to expect at the ground.  Luckily, unbeknown to me, the Corporate Chef at Upton Park, Keith Ross, had been following my progress and welcomed me, showing me around and generally giving me an absolutely mind blowing finale.

I don't expect the same but I'm hoping and praying Bobby's up there watching and shining down on Upton Park on Tuesday 21st for me.

So that's where I am.  I'm itching to get started.  I just hope this wind dies down by next Monday.

Finally, I encourage everyone reading this to visit my fundraising page and sponsor me....I'm still a long way from my £3000 target.  www.justgiving.com/bobbymoorebiathlon

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment