What's it all about?

I set this blog up in 2010 so people could follow my progress as I prepared for my second challenge in aid of the Bobby Moore Fund for Cancer Research UK; a three day biathlon which saw me run the Great North Run and the next day by a two day cycle to London from Newcastle.

I've made it my life's work to raise awareness of bowel cancer, the disease which robbed us of the greatest footballer to grace a football pitch and a disease I was tested for when I was 22 following a health scare.


This blog follows my training for the event, my thoughts and more importantly will allow you to follow my progress on the event.


With my new challenge I am hoping to raise £10,000 for the charity



Sunday 19 September 2010

As seen by Cheryl Baker!

So the ore we have it.  Day 1 of the three day biathlon done.  This was the one i was dreading...mainly because of the lack of training I had managed to out in after I turned my ankle in Ibiza.  7 miles training in 4 weeks wasn't good. 

I got to the start area and took part in the warm up (and managed to kick a man in the face while doing the warm up).  I got a bit emotional while waiting in my starting zone.  I had time to reflect on everything and how the past 7 months training had brought me to this moment.  My chin was wobbling a bit...but then the announcer started telling us about the servicemen who were taking part, some of them amputees.  That was me gone!  I managed to pull it together, started to concentrate on what was ahead, the gun went and then "Local Hero" blasted out over the tannoy system....gone again! 

My aim was to get to the half way point without stopping and then any further after that was a bonus.  It's difficult to take a steady pace when everyone is going like the clappers at the start and you've got the crowd urging you on.  I decided the best option was to pick someone out who was running at my preferred pace and stick with them.  It worked perfectly for the first 2 miles.  The pace was perfect, but I could feel my right calf pulling a bit....I'd been having problems with my calf for a few days now but I decided to try and run it off.  Everything else felt fine.  My breathing was perfect, the knees were good and more important I was happy.

I decided before the race to take the lower level of the Central Motorway as it is more or less level as compared to the climb onto the top level.  And it was on the Central Motorway where it happened.  There ahead of me was a woman in a black t-shirt and on the back of the t-shirt i big silver writing was "Cheryl Baker".  I gradually caught up and as I pulled level look to my right.  Yup, it was Cheryl Baker of Bucks Fizz and Record Breakers fame.  Wow!!  I was dumbstruck!  She looked at me and said "Alright?!" and smiled.  "I am now Cheryl.  Have a good run" I said as I went past.  "You too sweetheart".  Cheryl Baker called me sweetheart!!!!! 

Anyway, off I went, over the Tyne Bridge, past Gateshead Stadium and up the long, long hill between the 3 and 6 mile point.  Horrible!!!  I noticed as we approached the Heworth Roundabout just short of the 5 mile mark than everyone was silent.  The joviality had gone.  This was serious and hurting everyone!  We were helping each other up to the 6 mile mark.  The pace was still fast as I was starting from near the front.  I saw the sign saying "Half way" and thought, "Jesus, I'm half way!! I've got to run all that again.  But I feel good"

There were helpful distractions along the way.  A man running in just a nappy break dancing in front of one of the bands and then running backwards and forwards slapping as many hands as possible was just brilliant.  He raised a smile when it started to hurt. 

Literally bumping into another runner running for the Bobby Moore Fund (and fellow West Ham Supporter) was great.  Having somebody to chat with for a few miles was just the tonic. We parted and around the 8 mile mark I bumped into another guy running for the charity and thats when it hit home...this is why I'm doing this.

We got chatting, naturally about football.  He was a season ticket holder at Manchester United, but Bobby Moore is a hero of his and the charity meant so much as he had suffered from bowel cancer.  He got the all clear last year after fighting it for 10 years.  And this was the 15th time he had run the Great North Run....the only times he didn't run was when he was undergoing chemo.  I had full and total respect for him. 

I ploughed on ahead climbing the long gradual gradient that takes you from the 8 miles mark to the steep decent to the coast at 12 miles.  It was at this point that you started to see people dropping.  One guy was being helped by the St John's Ambulance folk.  He looked completely spaced.  It was frightening.  This was the point where the crowd came into their own.  the encouragement was awesome.  Oranges were being dished out, ice lollies were being snapped up and one running club were dishing out beer!!!

At the 10.5mile mark I noticed my calf was playing up again but the pain was getting unbearable.  Climbing up the gradually steepening hill it was getting worse. "Just get to 11 miles and see how we are".  Past 11 miles I was still running but with less comfort.  At 11.5miles I couldn't take the pain any more.  I had to drop to a walk and try and stretch it out.  I headed over to a shower to cool down and as I came out I got a tap on the shoulder and it was the Man Utd supporter.  "Come on!!  You can't stop now". 

I got going again, changing my stride pattern to suit and to reduce the pain.  Down to the coast and onto the long drag to the finish, my new pal was urging me on, coaxing me all the way.  When we got to half a mile or so to go, he shouted "Go".  I looked at him and he stared at me and shouted "Go!", so I did.  Gritting my teeth all the way. 

I wasn't exactly steaming along but I could see the finish getting ever closer but people were dropping like flies.  There was a man sprawled out on the pavement getting attention...one woman had fainted and was being tended too. 

I go to the finish with chin wobbling.  "Get a grip....you've done this twice before".  I knew I had done it in under 2 hours so I was delighted.  With my medal proudly displayed around my neck I made my way to the Cancer Research tent.  My kids George and Charlotte saw me and ran.  I could feel myself getting a bit emotional but when I heard George shout "DADDY WON!!!" I sank to my knees sobbing.  It was the best cuddle I have ever got from my kids!  It took all the pain away.

Inside the tent I grabbed any food I could get my hands on and rammed it down my throat (to be honest, I've not stopped eating all day!  Not long after, the heavens opened and we walked back to the Shields Ferry in a torrential downpour...but it was great!

Back home now, I'm a bit fragile but I'm ready for tomorrow.  I'm under now illusion that it's going to be hell but the weather looks good and I'm looking forward to it.  Me and the bike! 

Right, thats me done for today!  I'm shattered!!


1 comment:

  1. Well done Jamie... Brilliant commentary. Good luck for the next stage. The West Ham supporters here in Cramlington are cheering you on every step of the way ...

    ReplyDelete