What's it all about?

I set this blog up in 2010 so people could follow my progress as I prepared for my second challenge in aid of the Bobby Moore Fund for Cancer Research UK; a three day biathlon which saw me run the Great North Run and the next day by a two day cycle to London from Newcastle.

I've made it my life's work to raise awareness of bowel cancer, the disease which robbed us of the greatest footballer to grace a football pitch and a disease I was tested for when I was 22 following a health scare.


This blog follows my training for the event, my thoughts and more importantly will allow you to follow my progress on the event.


With my new challenge I am hoping to raise £10,000 for the charity



Wednesday 24 February 2010

17 years on!

I've spent most of the day wondering where the past 17 years have gone. I remember the evening of 24th February 1993 clearly. I hadn't long got back from school, was sat on the coffee table. Mum was sitting on the sofa (it was a horrible green and pink flowery one). Neighbour's had just finished and then the 6 o'Clock News started

"Tonights headlines.....England's World Cup winning captain, Bobby Moore, has died..."

Mum put her hand over her mouth and started crying. I was 15 but knew enough about the importance of Bobby Moore, not just to my club, West Ham, but also to the national football team. Everything just stopped. We never moved until the news finished. Dad stood motionless, not saying a word. The way they were it was almost like we had lost a relative.

17 years on most people have forgotten about what today is about. The authorities never gave Bobby the recognition he deserved. The West Ham and Fulham fans still remember on the 24th Feb each year. It's important for us to remember The Greatest. The man was a gentleman and in today's football world of sleaze and money, a lot of footballers would do well to follow his example of how he led his life on and off the pitch.

And this is why I am doing this event. It's going to hurt. It's going to be tough. But it's the least I can do in the memory of such a great person. Since his death The Bobby Moore Fund for Cancer Research UK has been working tirelessly to fight bowel cancer and the only way they can continue this fight is through people like myself trying to go the extra mile and raising money on their behalf.

I'm starting to get donations and messages of support and I've still got just over 6 months to go. It's blown me away to be honest. Let me make this clear...this is not a West Ham thing as some people have suggested. Far from it. Bobby Moore is more than just West Ham. He represented football and everything that was and is good about it.

Viva Bobby Moore!

No comments:

Post a Comment