What's it all about?

I set this blog up in 2010 so people could follow my progress as I prepared for my second challenge in aid of the Bobby Moore Fund for Cancer Research UK; a three day biathlon which saw me run the Great North Run and the next day by a two day cycle to London from Newcastle.

I've made it my life's work to raise awareness of bowel cancer, the disease which robbed us of the greatest footballer to grace a football pitch and a disease I was tested for when I was 22 following a health scare.


This blog follows my training for the event, my thoughts and more importantly will allow you to follow my progress on the event.


With my new challenge I am hoping to raise £10,000 for the charity



Tuesday 16 February 2010

Anyone for potholes??

The cycling training started today. Taking advantage of the car going into the garage I put the bike into the back, dropped the car off in Cramlington and set off. The thermometer on the car read -2 degrees. There had also been a weather warning about icy roads. But the ice was the least of my problems.

My route: From Cramlington, i headed out to Blagdon, Ponteland and out to Dissington Hall before turning back and heading back to North Shields. The air was freezing cold but at least it was sunny and once out of the town and onto the open road the cold was soon forgotten. I'd not been out on the road since October so this was heaven.

However, I had not taken into account the state of the roads around South Northumberland and North Tyneside. Last summer they were bad...now after the snows....unbelievable!! I had to keep an eye out for not only patches of ice but huge craters. Add to that the morning traffic and I was left with very little room for error. I swear these roads are worse than the worst roads in Outer Mongolia!

I was also reminded of the impatience of some drivers...pulling out at junctions right in front of me, overtaking and not leaving any room but worse were those with a mobile phone clamped to their faces and not taking a blind bit of notice about me or anyone else for that matter.

Aside from these irritations out in the country it was a superb ride. No really tricky climbs but plenty of chances of hammering it on the long straights.

So, ride number 1 = 37miles. Which is probably just about right for the first ride of the year. I'll gradually increase the mileage and hope to be hitting the 100 mile mark by June. To be honest, the ride down to London isn't going to have many big climbs so today's ride was probably a good representation of what I'll face.

I have a training ride planned for a couple of weeks time from home in North Shields up to Carter Bar on the Border which finished with a devilish climb. Can't wait!

Over the coming few weeks I hope I'll add a few photos, post up the planned route for the bike ride part of the challenge and also (and most importantly) the fund raising page.

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment