What's it all about?

I set this blog up in 2010 so people could follow my progress as I prepared for my second challenge in aid of the Bobby Moore Fund for Cancer Research UK; a three day biathlon which saw me run the Great North Run and the next day by a two day cycle to London from Newcastle.

I've made it my life's work to raise awareness of bowel cancer, the disease which robbed us of the greatest footballer to grace a football pitch and a disease I was tested for when I was 22 following a health scare.


This blog follows my training for the event, my thoughts and more importantly will allow you to follow my progress on the event.


With my new challenge I am hoping to raise £10,000 for the charity



Saturday 20 February 2010

The First Setback

OK, so I had 2 days rest instead of 1. There is such a thing as over-training. In all seriousness I just didn't feel right yesterday. Might have been a bit of fatigue.

On the plus side though, I received confirmation from The Great North Run that Cancer Research UK have entered me into the run. So, it's all confirmed now. This is definitely happening. With that in mind (and the latest weather forecasts suggesting another arctic blast) I decided to head to my local sports shop and pick up some winter running gear. Just as well really considering the snow flurries I watched last night.

But that wasn't going to deter me. I woke up nice and early this morning, saw a dusting of snow outside and decided that it would be OK to try a new jogging route I'd planned which would take me along the North Shields Fish Quay, up past the Priory to Tynemouth Longsands and back home to the Royal Quays.

All was going well until I got to about half a mile. Crossing a side road, my right foot slipped on some ice. I managed to keep on my feet but in doing so turned my right ankle over. My first reaction was to look around to see if anyone had watched my performance. Luckily, no and luckily my ankle felt OK.....until I started running again.

My normal approach to these things is to try and run it off but after a few hundred yards I decided to turn back and lightly jog back home.

So, the first setback. To say I'm frustrated is an understatement. At least it shouldn't prevent me from putting the bike on the turbo trainer. Some time in the gym should also keep the training on schedule. I'll take a look at the ankle on Monday and see how it feels. Fingers crossed that a few days off the running and it should be good as new.

Now where's that ice-pack??

No comments:

Post a Comment