What's it all about?

I set this blog up in 2010 so people could follow my progress as I prepared for my second challenge in aid of the Bobby Moore Fund for Cancer Research UK; a three day biathlon which saw me run the Great North Run and the next day by a two day cycle to London from Newcastle.

I've made it my life's work to raise awareness of bowel cancer, the disease which robbed us of the greatest footballer to grace a football pitch and a disease I was tested for when I was 22 following a health scare.


This blog follows my training for the event, my thoughts and more importantly will allow you to follow my progress on the event.


With my new challenge I am hoping to raise £10,000 for the charity



Sunday 14 February 2010

The slog begins!

I've been doing light training for a couple of months now but after getting my place in the Great North Run, the training proper can begin.

Today I got out and went for my first proper jog of the year. 5 miles covered and I felt comfortable....more comfortable than I have done for a long time.

I used to do a lot of roadrunning but had to give it up a few years back because of persistant knee injuries. However, back in the autumn I decided to get back out and see how it felt. Not too bad...the only problem was that I was a bit heavier than when I was last out on the road. And then came the snow and ice from mid December which, just as I was getting back into it, prevented me from getting out for a few weeks.

That began 5 weeks of hard slog at the gym to try and shift the weight. Running on a treadmill is a killer so it was a relief to get out today. Over 1 Stone lighter and I felt so much better. The last time I ran the course I ran today (back in November) I struggled. It hurt. My breathing was all out. It wasnt pleasant. However, today it just felt right.

Don't get me wrong, I've got a long way to go but getting today's run finished (and comfortably) was the mental boost I needed. With half term next week and some time off work, I'm planning a bit more gym time but crucially I'm getting the bike out for the first time since October. Again, I've been stuck indoors on the turbo trainer which is mind numbingly boring. I've got a short 40 mile route planned for Tuesday which should get me back into it nicely and then I'll be increasing the milage gradually and also combining it with the running.

I've been told I'm being too ambitious and that I won't be able to do this. Being told I can't do it only spurs me on more.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment